TVGMS Club members can learn to cut and polish a rock into a beautiful stone cabochon suitable for wire wrapping or fabricated metal setting. The Workshop may be used for slab trimming, metalwork and lapidary and jewelry work. Learn how to take a rock you dug up on a field trip and turn it into a piece of wearable art!
A safety class is required to use lab equipment. Contact Ron to set up a time to either take safety class or work in the lab.
Workshop equipment available for use:
- Slab saws
- Trim saws
- Flat lap
- Lapidary grinding units for shaping and polishing stones
- Buffing machines
- Lapidary forming and polishing machines
- Jewelry polishing machine
- Metal forming and polishing machines
- Torch for brazing/soldering
- Various hand tools (jewelry saws, pliers, files, hammers, etc.)
- And much more!
Shop Rules and Safety Tips:
A lapidary workshop is a very messy place! Please dress accordingly
- Wear clothing that you don't mind getting stained or dirty.
- Wear close-toed shoes.
- Earplugs are suggested to wear while using the grinders and trim saws. Please bring your own earplugs.
- Particle masks (i.e. painter's mask) are mandatory when using the buffing wheels and are recommended when using the grinders.
- Wear shatter-proof eye protection when using the grinders!!! Please bring suitable safety goggles or safety glasses while using the Shop's grinding equipment.
Please feel free to bring your own tools and safety items. Members may use their own material or purchase limited materials from the Club
Workshop address, 19512 Sycamore Drive, Tehachapi, CA 93561, do not use a GPS for locating..... it's incorrect.
(TVGMS members only)
The Workshop will be closed when classes are being held
Come visit our Workshop and have some FUN!!!